Thursday, August 11, 2011

Wheat Bread

I tried many wheat bread recipes and it turns out like a rock. This is the first recipe that I have found that isn't complicated and turns out with perfect bread. Just a few tips...1)store wheat flour and wheat gluten in the freezer between uses or it will go rancid and 2) do not double this recipe in a Kitchen Aid 5qt mixer... maybe the 6 qt is better, but it damaged my motor when I did it. In a Bosch mixer you can easily make 6 loaves at once. That's bread for a week for us! This recipe is taken from everydayfoodstorage.net
Wheat Bread
1 1/4 c warm water
1 T yeast
1/4 c honey or 1/3 c sugar
2 3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c wheat gluten
1 t salt
2 T nonfat instant dry milk (just noticed it said instant... I've been using regular without a problem)
1 T margarine/butter/oil (I use oil)
1 T vinegar
1/4 c potato flakes
Mix ingredients in order listed in mixing bowl of mixer with dough hook attachment fro 12-15 minutes (I turn on the mixer, set the timer, and do something productive). Let rise until double, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch down and shape into loaf. Let rise again until double and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, until it sounds hallow when lightly tapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment