Friday, May 27, 2011

Granola and Home Made Yogurt

I have discovered home made yogurt and I love it. It costs very little to make. It does take time, but it is not labor intensive... so you can still get a lot done in a day when you're making yogurt. It's healthy, too! Now this may not be the thing for everyone. My friend sampled it and said it tasted a lot like greek yogurt which is an acquired taste. But either I acquired the taste quickly or I don't have picky taste buds because I loved it and ate almost the whole batch myself within 2 weeks. I gave it to my friend with blueberries and my granola and she said it tasted like dessert for her. But if you don't have fresh fruit mix in honey or yummy jam. So if you want to give the yogurt a try check it out at EverydayFoodStorage.net. Now on to my granola recipe that goes so well with it.
Granola
  • 4 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup raisins (I leave these out and add it to the granola later if I eat it like cereal)
  • Combine oats, nuts, and coconut in a large bowl and set aside. Bring brown sugar, oil, honey, and cinnamon to a boil on the stove top then remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and then add mixture to oats and coconut. Spread onto large baking sheet and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. I stir mine every 5 minutes so it cooks evenly and I can be sure it doesn't burn. Let it cool completely before adding the raisins and store in an air-tight container.
Nutrition Facts per 1/4 c granola without raisins: 119 Calories, 6 grams of fat, 0 Cholesterol, 22 Carbs, 3g fiber, 2.6 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment