Monday, April 18, 2011

Doughnuts

Doughnuts
3 T softened butter
3/4 c sugar
3 eggs
1 c applesauce
1 t vanilla
4 1/2 c flour (more if dough is too sticky)
3 1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 c milk
Oil for frying

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk (batter will be thick). You can drop spoonful sized of batter into oil heated to 375 to make drop doughnuts. I like to make big pretty doughnuts. So I then sprinkle flour on the countertop (or a rolling mat) and place dough on flour. I knead in the flour necessary to take away enough stickiness to roll out. I then roll out and use whatever circular objects I can find to cut doughnut shapes (usually a medicine cup and large cup). I place doughnuts in oil to cook. If the oil is too hot the doughnuts will cook to quickly and be doughy in the middle. You want them to take more than a couple of minutes to brown on each side. Once golden brown on both sides, remove and place on paper towels.
You can top these doughnuts however you want. I like them dipped in melted butter, then a brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. That was incredibly messy for the kids though. So I also tried making a glaze of butter, powder sugar, milk, and cinnamon. That was much more child friendly. With the cinnamon and nutmeg in the doughnuts a chocolate glaze has to be just right to fit this doughnut well. My favorite was when I made the cinnamon glaze and my kids asked why no chocolate doughnuts with sprinkles so I threw some cocoa in the glaze. This recipe made more than enough doughnuts for my family of 6 for two breakfast meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment